Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 8

Mark Twain isn't he a good-looking Mustang?
So you might ask where days 5-7 went, well there's this thing called school, and I've learned through experience that even though I love my horses, SCHOOL COMES FIRST! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!  So that is what I abide by.  Well I guess I'll start with tonight, Friday, the 8th day of my little yearling's new life.  Considering I hadn't haltered him in a few days, i'm glad I had put down a solid foundation before I returned to school.  I ended up putting him in the round pen and doing some simple lunging exercises to gain his attention.  It was a long thirty minutes before I put the halter on him, but by then I'd already had him following me around like a puppy dog.  He's quite the magnificent horse.  Once I got a halter one him he acted like an angel.  He moved his body in every which direction I told him, even did a little side-stepping!  I finally decided on a name for my yearling, his name shall be Mark Twain, after the famous Samuel Clements (a.k.a. penname Mark Twain who wrote The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.)  I think I'll call his Marcus or Mr. Twain for short.  I just can't seem to stop calling him Mister.  It's the first thing that popped into my head when I met him.  But even then I only had about half an hour until darkness hit...so hopefully I'll have more time to work with him tomorrow.

Trust


"...he who follows me shall never walk in darkness..." John 8:12 partially.

Re-haltering! He stood patiently as I gently slipped the halter onto his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment